As part of our normal service to our patients, the doctors at the surgery can provide medical statements (known as Statement of Fitness for Work) to our patients free of charge under national guidelines.

There are a few ways in which a Statement of Fitness For Work can be provided, depending on the type of illness you have experienced and the period over which you are incapacitated from your normal activities. Please read all of the following in order to see which criteria is applicable to you.

In the first 7 days of all illnesses

In the first 7 days of all illnesses the patient should self certify their own illness using the form SC2 which should be available from your employer or from the inland revenue. For your convenience you can obtain an electronic version of the Inland Revenue Self Certification Form.

Private Statement of Fitness for Work

If your employer demands that you require a medical statement from your doctor in the first 7 days of any illness then the doctors will be able to provide a private statement.

Please be aware that this type of statement will be charged for and this cost is normally recoverable from your employer. If you require a private statement within the first 7 days of illness please contact the practice reception.

If you are still ill after 7 days

If you are still continuously ill for a period longer than 7 days and you require a medical statement for any purpose, such as for your employer, your doctor can prepare a medical statement following a consultation with you either via the telephone (if you have been seen for the condition before) or at the surgery. This statement is usually provided for a period relevant to your condition.

If you have a long term condition or have been discharged from hospital

If you are suffering from a long term condition or have been discharged from hospital and therefore have been unable to see your usual GP during a period of illness, your doctor may be able to provide you a medical statement. In order to provide you with this statement the Doctor must have seen your discharge letter from hospital and you may need to undergo a consultation with the Doctor either via telephone or at the surgery.

If you require a medical statement for incapacity benefit

If you are suffering from a longer term condition and are entitled to claim benefits then you may be asked to obtain a medical statement for this purpose. The doctor can complete a medical statement for this type of request. The agency providing the benefit will normally ask you to obtain this evidence. Please let the surgery know that you require this sick note as soon as you have been requested to obtain one in order to avoid any delays in your payments.

If you require a sick note not already mentioned above

The above medical statements covers most eventualities however you may be asked to obtain a sick note by another organisation such as an insurance company. In these circumstances a private statement may have to be completed, however please contact the practice reception detailing the purpose of the evidence required and the practice will identify the best solution for you.

Please note that you should request a medical statement well in advance of the due date of its presentation and ideally as soon as you know that you will require one. Please allow 48 working hours to prepare the document.