COVID-19 is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways. It’s caused by a virus called Coronavirus.
Stay at home if you have Coronavirus symptoms.
Stay at home for seven days if you have either:
- A high temperature (37.8 degrees or higher)
- A new continuous cough.
Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital.
You do not need to contact 111 to tell them you’re staying at home.
Read advice about staying at home.
Use the NHS 111 online Coronavirus service if:
- You feel you cannot cope with your symptoms at home
- Your condition gets worse
- Your symptoms do not get better after seven days.
Visit NHS 111 online here.
Only call 111 if you cannot get help online.
How Coronavirus is spread
Because it’s a new illness, we do not know exactly how coronavirus spreads from person to person.
Similar viruses are spread in cough droplets.
It’s very unlikely it can be spread through things like packages or food.
How to avoid catching or spreading Coronavirus
- Wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- Always wash your hands when you get home or into work
- Use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- Put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.
Treatment for Coronavirus
There is currently no specific treatment for Coronavirus. Antibiotics do not help, as they do not work against viruses. Treatment aims to relieve the symptoms while your body fights the illness. You’ll need to stay in isolation, away from other people, until you have recovered.
Government response and action plan
Find out more:
St Clements Surgery aims are to offer the highest standard of health care and advice to our patients, with the resources available to us. We have a team approach to patient care and endeavour to monitor the service provided to patients, to ensure that it meets current standards of excellence. We are dedicated to ensuring that practice staff and doctors are trained to the highest level and to provide a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The three partners and Salaried doctor divide their time equally to offer a good choice of appointments. It may not always be possible to see the doctor of your choice on a particular day, although we do encourage you to try and see the same doctor for a particular problem. As we are a Teaching and Training practice we also have GP Registrars available.
Although we’re proud of our excellent reputation, we’re always looking to improve our offering to you. So if you have any ideas or recommendations on how to do this, please feel free to contact us online.
St Clements Surgery is a member of My Healthcare and can offer evening and weekend face to face GP, Nurse and Healthcare Assistant appointments from Burbury, Fernley, Harborne, River Brook and West Heath Hubs. The extended hours appointments will be booked by our reception staff as usual but patients will be seen at whichever Hub is the most convenient for them. The addresses of the 5 Hubs plus the telephone numbers to ring if you needed to cancel or change an appointment are:
- Burbury Medical Centre, 311 Burbury Street, Birmingham B19 1TT. Appointment cancellation telephone no. 07424 041608
- Fernley Medical Centre, 560 Stratford Road, Birmingham B11 4AN. Appointment cancellation telephone no. 07561 109028
- Harborne Medical Practice, 4 York Street, Birmingham B17 0HG. Appointment cancellation telephone No. 0121 427 5246
- River Brook Medical Centre, 3 River Brook Drive, Birmingham B30 2SH. Appointment cancellation telephone no. 0121 433 8910
- West Heath Medical Centre, 194-196 West Heath Road, Birmingham B31 3HB. Appointment cancellation telephone No. 0121 483 2122
We are also able to offer our patients telephone consultations with either a GP or pharmacist based in MyHealthcare’s Virtual Hub at West Heath Medical Centre. The call will be booked by our reception staff for a time that is convenient to you.
Please ask a member of our staff if you would like further information.